why i, as a millenial, love cap2 (it’s for many of the same reasons i loved pacific rim)
- Compared to the other superhero movies, Cap2 is such a young movie. Steve, Natasha and Sam are all in their late 20’s, and still just starting out in life in many ways. Compare this to, say, Tony or Bruce, who are both from different generations, with established reputations/decades of work in their respective fields. Even Thor struck me as more of a 30s-range film, re: Jane Foster (going by Natalie Portman’s age and the fact that she’s a doctor of astrophysics/maybe a professor?).
- It’s a movie about IDENTITY, questioning your own definition of self and starting over. I mean, after the fall of SHIELD basically all the main characters are unemployed and about to embark on road trips to FIND THEMSELVES (or idk find Bucky).
- They are individuals fighting against a mammoth government entity (analogous to the NSA) that has all the resources in the world at its disposal. Pretty much the only way that this could MORE describe my daily frustrations is if it were a mammoth corporate entity.
- It’s a solid ensemble film, demonstrating the necessity of cooperation. The first 1/3 was Natasha/Steve, the second 1/3 was Nat/Steve/Sam and the last 1/3 we add Maria and Nick. Never is it ~~Steve as an Extraordinary Individual Saving The Day~~. Also relevant is that he is the ONLY white male on his team. Pretty much the only time he breaks away to do his own thing is regarding the last scene and Bucky, and that STILL has to do with an arc about friendship, loss and sacrifice.
- There is absolutely a message of hope that there are still good people out there, willing to stand up for the right thing. The scene where SHIELD officers risked (even lost) their lives to fight against their Hydra coworkers was such a glorious moment. Again, the necessity of cooperation. The power of even the most “powerless” (that poor IT guy Rumlow put a gun to) standing up against the establishment.
aaahhh look at this konan 😍 #otakuthon
oh yeah also!!! i saw this girl at school today she’s in the animation program too THATS CRAZY